Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Making History

In the wake of a historic night, I’d like to take a moment to reflect on what last night meant to me. All politics aside, last night marked a great moment in our nation’s history. Last night, America elected its first African American president to the White House. Was he my candidate initially? No. But, that didn’t make my goose bumps any less real last night as I watched news casters call the election for Barack Obama.

In comparison with Elections 2000 and 2004 where we kept our eyes glued to our TV screens til the wee hours of the morning, hoping for some glimmer of hope, last night’s call was made early and definitely. Instead of watching in despair, we watched with anticipation for the acceptance speech of our new president elect. While Obama's speech was reserved, he delivered it as a true statesman and while rejoicing in his victory, he still reminded us of the long road ahead.

As for myself, I watched with a bit of sadness while John McCain gave what in my mind was a valiant concession speech. Rejection is never easy, but he accepted his with grace. Despite being guilty of laughing at Sarah Palin’s gaffs throughout the election, it was difficult for me to watch the governor give that trademark smile while fighting back the tears in her eyes. And I can’t help but think that while the loss is a tough one, it must also come as a relief to someone who had taken on a burden much too big for her shoulders.

My biggest hope is that everyone who turned out to vote can retain the political zeal that this election has inspired in us all.

Photobucket

No comments: